Current Lab Members
Dr Shiwei ZhaoVPRDO Research Assistant Professor firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Shiwei Zhao is currently VPRDO Research Assistant Professor at HKUST. Shiwei earned a joint Ph.D. from South China University of Technology and Oregon State University in 2018. He has developed an international reputation on multiscale, multiphysics modeling of granular media and non-spherical DEM simulations. His open source non-spherical DEM code SudoDEM (visit github) is open for free download. Shiwei works closely with Jidong to co-supervise research students and solicit external fundings.
Dr Tongming QuVPRDO Research Assistant Professor email@example.com
Tongming received both his bachelor's and master's degrees from Central South University (China), and earned his PhD from Swansea University (UK) in Dec 2021. He joined the Lab as a postdoc fellow in May 2022, and has been appointed as VPRD Research Assistant Professor (from May 2023) at HKUST. He works on developing novel DEM algorithms for geotechnical applications and physics-involved data-driven constitutive modelling of granular materials.
Dr Xi WangPostdoc Fellow, firstname.lastname@example.org
Xi Wang obtained his bachelor's and PhD degree from Tongji University as outstanding graduates in Shanghai (x2). He obtained a Master degree in Science of Computer Science in UT Austin during exchange. Xi joined the Lab as a postdoc fellow in Feb 2023 and is working on multiphysics and earthquake modeling with discontinuous numerical methods (DDA).
Ke ShiPh.D. student, email@example.com Hong Kong Ph.D. Fellow (2019-)
Ke Shi obtained her bachelor degree from Southeast University, China, in July 2018, and joined the Lab as a research student in August 2018. Ke has won a prestigious Hong Kong Ph.D. Fellowship in 2019. She works on grain crushing.
Tao YuPh.D. student, firstname.lastname@example.org Hong Kong Ph.D. Fellow (2020-)
Tao obtained his bachelor degree from Southeast University in July 2018 as an outstanding graduate, two times recipient of "National Scholarship" and several other prestigious awards. He joined the Geomechanics Lab as a research student in August 2019 and won Hong Kong Ph.D. Fellowship award in 2020. Tao works on laser-melting 3D printing.
Quan KuPh.D. student, email@example.com
Quan obtained both his bachelor and master degrees from Huazhong University of Science and Technology in July 2020. He joined the Lab as a Ph.D. student in August 2020, working on simulation of powder compaction based pharmaceutical tablet manufacturing.
Renee Agnes O. VizmanosPh.D. student, firstname.lastname@example.org Hong Kong Ph.D. Fellow (2021-)
Renee obtained her bachelor degree with honor (Magna cum Laude) from University of the Philippines Diliman in 2019. She joined the Lab in August 2021 as a recipient of Hong Kong Ph.D. Fellowship award. Her thesis is focused on coastal wave-structure interactions
Jidu YuPh.D. student, email@example.com
Jidu obtained both his bachelor and master degrees from Hohai University. He joined the Lab as a Ph.D. student in August 2021. He works on thermo-hydro-mechanical coupling for granular system that may undergo phase transition for simulation of methane hydrate bearing sediment and permafrost.
Changyi YANGPh.D. student, firstname.lastname@example.org Hong Kong Ph.D. Fellow (2022-)
Changyi Yang obtained his bachelor degree from Central South University in 2019 and his master degree from Tongji University in July 2022, both with first-class honours. He won the prestigious 2022 Hong Kong Ph.D. Fellowship (HKPF) and joins our Lab as a Ph.D. student in August 2022.
Wentao WANGMPhil student, email@example.com
Wentao obtained his bachelor’s degree from Central South University in 2018 and his master’s degree from Tongji University in 2021. Before joining the Lab as a research student in August 2023, he worked as a software engineer in a technology company. He joined the lab in Fall 2023 and will focus his research on multiscale modeling of thermo-hydro-mechanical-chemical processes in granular media.
Zhang CHENGPh.D. student, firstname.lastname@example.org
Zhang obtained his bachelor degree from Tianjin University in 2019 and his master degree from Zhejiang University in 2022. He joins our Lab as a Ph.D. student in August 2023, working on multiphysics, multiscale modeling of granular media.
Anjan RajapakseMPhil student, email@example.com
Anjan received his B.Sc. Eng. (Hons) degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Sri Lanka in 2021. He was the first gold medal recipient for Mechanical Engineering of the Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Sri Jayewardenepura. He joined our lab in August 2023 to work on DED (Direct Energy Deposition) in additive manufacturing.
Qingzheng GUANVisiting research student
Qingzheng is a visiting postgraduate student from Zhejiang University, China. He will work in our Lab from March to September 2023, focusing on deep learning-based constitutive modeling and numerical methods in soil mechanics.
Yanzhen ZHUVisiting research student
Yanzhen is a visiting postgraduate student from Zhejiang University of Technology, China, from May 2023 to November 2023. He works on internal erosion in embankment dams.
- Ke SHI (PhD, 2023): Thesis Title: "Multiscale modelling of crushable granular media"
- Tao YU (PhD, 2023): Thesis Title: "Multiscale modeling of powder-based laser additive manufacturing"
- Amiya Prakash Das (PhD, 2022): Thesis Title: "Micromechanical modelling of triphasic granular system"
- Terry Ho Yin Leung (MPhil, 2022): Thesis Title: "3D Numerical Modelling of Bouldery Debris Flows and their Interaction with Mitigation Structures"
- Weijian Liang (PhD, 2020): Thesis Title: "Multiscale modeling of large deformation in geomechanics"
- Yong Kong (PhD, 2020): Thesis Title: "Computational modeling and analysis of multiphase geophysical flows interacting with resisting structures"
- Fan Zhu (PhD, 2019; HKPF, 2015-19): Thesis Title: "Multiscale modeling of grain crushing in granular media"
- Zhijie Yu (M.Phil, 2019): Thesis Title: "Data-driven approach for DEM-based multiscale modeling of granular media"
- Huanran Wu (PhD, 2018): Thesis Title: "Multiscale modeling of localized deformation in high-porosity granular rocks"
- Xingyue Li (PhD, 2018; HKPF, 2014-18): Thesis Title: "Computational modeling of debris flows and their interaction with resisting barriers based on a coupled CFD-DEM approach"
- Tong Shan (PhD, 2015): Thesis Title: "Coupled CFD-DEM modeling of fluid-particle interaction in geomechanics"
- Zhaochen Liu (MPhil, 2015): Thesis Title: "Micromechanical study of mechanical behavior of granular media accounting for the role of particle shape"
- Ning Guo (PhD, 2014): Thesis Title: "Multiscale characterization of the shear behavior of granular media". (Now "100-talents Program" Professor and "1000 Young Talents Program" Awardee, Zhejiang University, China<国家青年千人，浙江大学百人计划教授>)
- Jinfeng Wei (MPhil, 2013): Theisis Title: "Experimental Investigation of the Behavior of Fibre-reinforced Sand"
- Zhiwei Gao (PhD, 2012): Thesis Title: "Constitutive Modeling of Anisotropic Behavior in Geomaterials: the Role of Fabric" (Now Senior Lecturer at University of Glasgow)
- Zhengshou Lai (2/2021-2/2023, Hong Kong Scholars Program), now associate professor at Sun Yat-Sen University
- Weijian Liang (8/2020-7/2022), now research assistant professor at Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Fan Zhu (8/2019-4/2022), now associate professor at Kyoto University
- Yiqiu Zhao (8/2020-8/2021), now postdoc at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- Yong Kong (8/2020-3/2021), now research assistant professor at Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Shiwei Zhao (10/2018-10/2020, Hong Kong Scholars Program), now Research Assistant Professor at HKUST
- Huanran Wu (8/2018-1/2020), now Associate Professor and "Hongshen Scholar"(弘深青年教师) at Chongqing University, China
- Xiusong Shi (1/2018-7/2019), now Professor and "1000 young Talents Program" (国家青年千人) at Hohai University, China
- Xingyue Li (9/2018-6/2019), now Professor at Tongji University
- Huo Fan (9/2016-9/2017) now research scientist at Institute of Mountain Hazards and Environment, CAS
- Ning Guo (9/2014-9/2016) Now "100-talents Program" Professor and "1000 young Talents Program" Awardee, Zhejiang University, China（国家青年千人，浙江大学百人计划教授)
- Hua Jiang (9/2012-3/2013): Now faculty member at Chang'an University
- Zhiwei Gao (9/2012-6/2013):Now Senior Lecturer at University of Glasgow
- Yuxia Kong (9/2011-8/2012): Now Associate Professor at Nanjing Institute of Technology
- Guilhem Mollon (10/2011-8/2012): Now Associate Professor at National Institute for Applied Sciences, Lyon, France (visit his homepage)
- Fengtao Liu (3/2011-2/2012): Now Associate Professor at Guilin University of Technology
- Yipeng Xie, visiting Ph.D. student from Central China University (May 2022 - Nov 2022)
- Xiang Wang, visiting Ph.D. student from Central China University (Aug 2018- Aug 2019)
- Jiayan Nie, visiting Ph.D. student from Wuhan University (Dec 2018 - Nov 2019)
- Jichao Lou, visiting research student from Southeast University (Aug-Oct 2019)
- Ajinka Kulkami, visiting research student from IIT Madras (Oct 2016 - Mar 2017)
- Julien Molina, visiting research student from Ecole Nationale Superieure des Mines (2014)